(Lanka-e-news -26.Jan.2017, 10.50AM) If the president is seeking to dupe the media and society without justice being meted out to the journalists who were murdered and went missing , the only option available in that event is to seek international intervention to secure redress, said , news editor of Ravaya Lasantha Ruhunage the president of the Sri Lanka professional journalists Association .
Ruhunage expressed this view because , the good governance government which is talking most loud all the time on behalf of media freedom has still not appointed a presidential commission empowered to investigate the murder of journalists; assault on journalists; setting fire to media Institutions; and the threats and intimidations faced by journalists during the nefarious decade of the Rajapakses even after two years since the advent of this government. The good government governance has not even responded to the request made by the Association for the last two years. Hence , a post card campaign was inaugurated on 24th- to send post cards bearing signatures of the public to the president to bring pressure on the government to appoint the presidential commission.
It is well and widely known fact that the organization worked with commitment to steer Maithripala Sirisena to the post of president , yet so far the president has not been able to even give an appointment to hold discussions , Ruhunage bemoaned while mounting charges.
A large crowd including Journalists Islandwide , civil organization leaders , Ms. Sandya Ekneliyagoda , Risa Wickremetunge, a daughter of a relative of Late Lasantha Wickremetunge , political leaders and artistes participated in the post card campaign launched 24th .
You (our readers) can also contribute to this post card campaign. That is ,write the statement appearing hereunder on the post card , place your signature thereon and send it to His Excellency President Maithripala Sirisena , President House ,Colombo 01
“ It is hereby requested to appoint a presidential commission to investigate the murder of journalists , abduction of journalists, assaults on journalists, and the various threats and intimidations posed to the media”
Photos – courtesy Vimukthi Soysa.
by (2017-01-26 05:23:30)
Leave a Reply
2 discussion on this news
Lest readers forget, here is a list_
2004 1.Aiyathurai A. Nadesan – Journalist / 31 May
2. Kandaswamy Aiyer Balanadaraj – Writer / 16 August
3. Lanka Jayasundera – Photo journalist / 11 December
2005 4.Dharmaratnam Sivaram – Editor / 28 April
5. Kannamuttu Arsakumar – Media worker/ 29 June
6. Relangee Selvarajah – Journalist / 12 August
7. D. Selvaratnam – Media worker/ 29 August
8. Yogakumar Krishnapillai – Media Worker / 30 September
9. L. M. Faleel (Netpittimunai Faleel) – Writer / 02 December
10. K. Navaratnam – Media worker / 22 December
2006 11.Subramaniam Suhirtharajan – Journalist / 24 January
12. S. T. Gananathan – Patron, Tamil News and Information Centre / 01 February
13. Bastian George Sagayathas – Media worker / 03 May
14. Rajaratnam Ranjith Kumar – Media worker / 03 May
15. Sampath Lakmal de Silva – Journalist / 02 July – killed by ArmyIntelligence
16. Mariadasan Manojanraj – Media worker / 01 August
17. Pathmanathan Vismananthan – Singer and musician / 02 August
18. Sathasivam Baskaran – Media worker / 15 August
19. Sinnathamby Sivamaharajah – Media owner / 20 August
2007 20.. Raveendran – Media worker / 12 February
21. Subramaniam Ramachandran – Media personnel / 15 February
22. Chandrabose Suthakar – Journalist / 16 April
23. Selvarasah Rajeevarman – Journalist / 29 April
24. Sahadevan Neelakshan – Journalist / 01 August
25. Anthonypillai Sherin Siththiranjan – Media worker / 05 November
26. Vadivel Nimalarajah – Media worker / 17 November
27. Isaivizhi Chempian (Subhajini) – Media worker / 27 November
28. Suresh Limbiyo – Media Worker / 27 November
29. T.Tharmalingam – Media Worker / 27 November
2008 30.Paranirupesingham Devakumar – Journalist / 28 May
31. Rasmi Mohamad – Journalist / 06 October
2009 32.Lasantha Wickrematunga – Editor / 08 January
33. Punniyamurthy Sathyamurthy – Journalist / 12 February
34. Sasi Mathan – Media worker / 06 March
-- by punchinilame on 2017-01-26
Finally the journalists will have to clamor for international panel of judges, as the entire legal system is corrupt starting with the Minister of Justice who is the biggest crook.
-- by W.Rohana on 2017-01-26